In the coming months good music is going to hit Melbourne hard and I’m pretty sure anyone with even the slightest interest in funk, soul, R&B or jazz will spend these next few months surviving on a diet of instant noodles, cheap booze and good tunes.
In preparation for the coming months I’ve listed my top five gigs along with a link to Ramen Raters Top Ten Instant Noodles of All Time. Enjoy –
1. Solange at the Prince Bandroom – probably the biggest SHHHHIYYYYYEETTTT moment I have had in quite a while.
2. Charles Bradley at the Corner Hotel – can I get a ‘hell yeah?’.
3. Robert Glasper at the Forum – I missed these guys on there last trip to Melbourne, I don’t want to make the same mistake twice.
4. Mossvale Summer of Soul – Definitely one of the most underrated festivals going around. Pack a picnic, find a good spot and spend the afternoon lolling in the sun enjoying the likes of Lee Fields and the Expressions, Hiatus Kayote, the Basics and Bombay Royale…just to name a few.
5. Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings – I’ve heard on the grapevine that Sharon Jones is heading back to Australia in late 2014….